Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Peer under pressure

Isreal's best, Shahar Peer isn't having best times on court these days. Not only did her ranking slip to number 39, she also is forded to cope with the difficult political situation in her country with the military conflict in Gaza.


Peer even had to face obstacles in Auckland, where there was a protest to boycott Isreal. She has been even asked to withdraw from the tournament in Auckland by the protest organizer John Minto.

Asked if she had considered pulling out, Peer told journalists that there wasn't anything she could do about the politics of the situation in the Middle East.

"I have nothing to do with this," she said.

"I'm Shahar Peer. I came here to play tennis. I know I'm from Israel and I'm proud of my country and that [playing tennis] is what I'm doing to do tomorrow."


These are not the only problems the young Israeli has to face these days.
Her own brother, who had completed his compulsory military service, had been called up as a reservist.

"Two days ago, I was crying a bit, actually more than a bit, so it was a hard time for me," she said.

"I hope as soon as possible it will end and we will all be happy, because no one wants to be in a war."


Peer said this is the first time she had to deal with such problems.

Her bravery was rewarded. Shahar has reached the quarterfinals and will face top seed Elena Dementieva for a spot in the semis.

~jachal

No comments: