Saturday, January 24, 2009

Comebacks are in

Former world No.4 Greg Rusedski must have gotten inspired by the sensational comeback of 37 year old Kimiko Date Krumm, as he announced he would come out of retirement himslef.


Although he didn't play for two years, the Brit already asked for some wildcards into ATP events and hopes to be able to play Davis Cup for Great Britain again. Rusedski may not have it all his way, as the British Davis Cup captain John Lloyd has turned down his offer.

Lloyd told the BBC: "We talked about it and I thought about it and I called him up the next day and told him this was not the right time."

Rusedski told Eurosport: "I've always been passionate about the Davis Cup. I always feel that I can give something back, whether it's in doubles or it's in singles, and it's another option for John Lloyd if he wants it. If he doesn't and I don't have any form, well fair enough."

"Obviously anyone would be disappointed," he said. "To at least have a shot there, to play a few events, would have been nice. So I'm going to go into the [ATP] events and see what happens and take it from there. I've asked for some wild cards into some events, so I'm going to be like everybody else and see what happens."


"The body's feeling good. Two years off and now being back in training for two and a half months, the body feels great." he said.

Well, it will be for sure interesting to see how the Brit manages the pace set by the world's elite.
We really doubt this will be a succesful comeback, but who knows? Maybe Rusedski at least manages to finally win the crowd over, as all the comeback players seem to be liked that little bit more then before...

~jachal

No comments: