Sunday, April 27, 2008

Clarissa Fernandez throws the racquet

Clarissa Fernandez decided to end up her career.
After years of struggle with knee injuries (3 major surgeries on both knees in 2004, 2005 and 2007), the feisty Argentinian decided it's about time to move forward in her life.

She will be remebered best for reaching the French Open semifinal in 2002 beating Kim Clijsters (6/4 6/0), Elena Dementieva (in three sets!!!) and Paola Suarez (coming back from a set and a break down). At No.87, was second-lowest ranked player ever to reach Roland Garros SF since No.99 Simon in 1978 and sixth-lowest to ever reach a Grand Slam semifinal.

Fernandez has reached one other semifinal and five quarterfinals in her career and owns one Top 10 win (the aforementioned Clijsters) and 4 Top 20 wins (over Dementieva, Myskina, Farina-Elia and Smashnova). In the rankings Fernandez peaked at 26.

"Reaching the Roland Garros semifinals was important for me, as was getting all the way to No.26 in 2003. I felt I was getting better and better and I have so many great memories from those years, despite the injuries. But when I started having problems again after the Australian Open this year, I decided it was time."

Fernández is in the process of finishing her high school degree and in September will begin studying at the University of Business Administration in Córdoba.

"If everything goes well, I'm hoping to spend the next few years focusing on my studies, and then hopefully I can find a new career in the tennis world. Tennis is my passion and I will always feel connected with it."
~jachal

No comments: