Thursday, February 7, 2008

Federer & Baghdatis looking for new coaches

It appears like Roger Federer is looking for a coach once again. After splitting with Tony Roche, the world No.1 has been coachless and it seemed like he was better off without a coach. Federer is aware, that he doesn't really need someone to change his game, but after a disappointing start to the season (falling to Djokovic in straight sets in the Aussie Open semis) he looks like being on the verge to hire someone.

“I don’t think I can change my game drastically, and I don’t think I should,” the world No. 1 said. “I have the possibility to vary my game, and that’s my big strength. In today’s game, it’s the details, so that’s what I have to keep working on. That’s maybe the reason why I have to look for someone else.”Federer's been linked with the likes of Paul Annacone and Darren Cahill, but they could get a dump, as the Fed-Express might be in for a partnership with his longtime friend Reto Staubli. Reto Staubli, a former swiss top ten, travels frequently with Roger Federer on the road. He is an excellent hitting partner and a childhood interclub friend from the Swiss leagues.

***

Also looking for a new coach is former Australian Open finalist Marcos Baghdatis. His coach, Yiannos Hadjigeorgiou quit on Wednesday after less than a year in the job.

Hadjigeorgiou will remain as Cyprus' Davis Cup Captain but will no longer be able to work with Marcos due to personal reasons.

"This decision, taken after much thought, is owed to clearly family reasons. The decision I have taken is the most appropriate,'' Hadjigeorgiou said on the Cypriot tennis federation's Web site.

"I impressed upon (Baghdatis) that I would always be by his side, as in the past, for whatever he may need.''

Hadjigeorgiou started coaching Baghdatis in May 2007. No replacement has been named.

~jachal

No comments: