Thursday, October 8, 2009

Wozniacki not happy with the organizers

US Open runner-up Caroline Wozniacki is quickly moving up the rankings and therefor becoming one of the WTA stars, but last week she couldn't fully deliver due to an infection. She had give up the match against Aleksandra Wozniak in Tokio after trailing the Canadian 0-5 in the first set. This week, still not feeling 100%, she asked the Beijing organizers to move her match, but her request was denied, which led to a tset lost to Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez. Here's her take on the whole situation:



"In Beijing, I still was not feeling close to 100%, so I asked the tournament director and WTA for a Monday start (instead of playing my first round on Sunday), but it was very frustrating to learn on Saturday that I was scheduled to play my first match on Sunday. I really needed every hour of rest to get over this virus and ready for my first match, but the WTA or tournament director did not seem to care at all and take this into consideration. The WTA Tour is supposed to be a players union, but I certainly don’t think they represented my best interest this week in Beijing and it was very disappointing. In my first round, I ended up playing Maria Jose Martinez-Sanchez, and I played a good first set which I won close 7-5. In the second set, it was really close again but I lost it in a tiebreaker and then in the third set I just completely ran out of energy and ended up losing the match."

"Losing my first round in is Beijing was exactly what I was worried about since I have not practiced for more than one hour in the past week. I was hopeful that if th WTA were to give me a first round start on Monday that I could’ve had a much better chance of winning and feeling better as I were to advance through the tournament. I am never one to make excuses because Martinez-Sanchez did play a good match, but I really feel the WTA and tournament director could’ve helped me and they chose not to"

It seems like the polite Dane finally got some character. Is this the influence of her closest freind on Tour - Agnieszka Radwanska (who is only trailing Serena Williams, when it comes down to being outspoken)???

~jachal

No comments: