Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Andrei Pavel says goodbye to professional tennis

Former World No. 13 Andrei Pavel has officially retired from professional tennis, after losing to Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay on Wednesday at the BCR Open Romania in Bucharest this week.

"I have no regrets and am very proud of my career.” said 35-year-old Pavel, after . “I was surprised at my performance, having been Davis Cup captain indoors in Sweden last week. I didn’t practise as much as I would have liked beforehand, but I enjoyed it. It will be nice not to chase rankings points anymore.”


"I had two beautiful moments in my career. I enjoyed Davis Cup and also clinching the Masters [1000] title at Montreal in 2001, beating the top guys there. When I played Davis Cup in France, I carried the flag and received a five-minute standing ovation.”

“I have moved my family [wife Simone, daughter Caroline Elena and son Marius] over to the United States and I will try to open a tennis academy with a very good friend of mine.” he said. “At the same time I will also help to develop Romanian tennis, which is not an easy job, but there is a lot of talent and hopefully we can manage it and give them experience at an earlier age.”

We have one story that we trully adore about Andrei Pavel...

Roland Garros 2002, QF: A.Corretja def. Andrei Pavel 7-6(5) 7-5 7-5
The match had been suspended due to darkness on Tuesday (at 5:4* for Pavel in the 3rd set) and wasn't possible to contiunate it on Wednesday because of rain. Pavel despite playing one of the most important matches of his life, decided to go to Germany where his wife the same day gave birth of their second child. Pavel came back to Paris on Thursdays' morning (5 a.m.), slept only three hours on a couch in the players' lounge and enter the court to lose quickly three games to Corretja, and the match!

Thanks Andrei for nice memmories and good luck!

~shaw

No comments: