Monday, April 27, 2009

Bye Bye El Mago

Guillermo Coria from Argentina has announced his retirement. "I didn't feel like competing anymore" he said. "I'm very happy with the decision I've taken since I have new projects and I will be able to spend more time with my family."


Between 2003 and 2004, the Argentine won 48 out 50 matches on clay, including two titles in Hamburg and one in Monte Carlo, as well as Sttutgart, Kitzbuhel and Sopot back-to-back in the summer of 2003.

Despite his claycourt supreme, "El Mago" never managed to capture the French Open. He held two matchpoints against Gaston Gaudio in French Open final in 2004, but he eventually lost it in five set drama.

"In 2005 I began to feel less and less like competing" he said. "My passion just wasn't the same and it's impossible to do things well when it's like that. In this sport, you have to be at 100 percent."
~shaw

1 comment:

Correia said...

Goodbye my cousin :(