Thursday, March 26, 2009

Clijsters announces comeback

So now it's official! Kim Clijsters will start a comeback, or as she told the reporters - will start a new career. This is perhaps the greatest news for the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour so far this year.


"It all started with preparing for the gala match at Wimbledon. It was all pretty laid back. But I liked it so much I was onto my training schedule from my pro days, and then the hunger for more came automatically. I look at this as a second career, not as a comeback, as I am now in a situation where not everything revolves around tennis 24 hours a day. We'll see how I, Jada and the others in my environment can handle this." Clijsters said.

Earlier, Clijsters had announced she will join Steffi Graf, Andre Agassi and Tim Henman for a series of exhibition matches at Wimbledon on May 17 under the new retractable roof on Centre Court. She's also scheduled to play an exhibition June 14 against Michaella Krajicek in the Netherlands, along with two matches for the St. Louis Aces of World Team Tennis in July.

Looks like Kimmy is taking this comeback very serious...

"I have never trained harder. I am not coming back to lose in the first rounds. Otherwise, I might as well go on holiday.''

"I am amazed how many players I don't even know. There are even many names I do not know how to pronounce.'' - she said (and yes - this was most probably about Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova...)

"I want to be back at my peak as soon as possible, but I know that is not logical to ask that. I will have to take it match by match.'' - Clijsters said.

Clijsters, who is married to American basketball player Brian Lynch and gave birth to her daughter Jada last year, retired two years ago, picking continuos injuries and the need to start a family as reasons for the retirement.

We keep our fingers crossed, that the comeback will be successful one. Go Kimmy!!!

~jachal

No comments: