Monday, February 23, 2009

Give it 2 me, give it 2 me, give it 2 me

Former Wimbledon semifinalist Xavier Malisse is trying to make it back to top 100, but in order to do so, he's having to win a lot of matches. Being a world No.167 ain't no fun, 'cause you have to play qualifications to every worthy tournament. Even to those, where you might have expected to get a wildcard...

"I think it's pretty embarrassing to be in five finals in eight years, winning twice and not get a wildcard. There's no loyalty in tennis" - said an angry Malisse after losing to Taylor Dent in the qualifying of Delray Beach.

The Belgium has reached the finals in Delray Beach in 1999, 2001 and 2006. In 2005 & 2007 he went all the way winning the title.

The Organizers decided to give the wildcards to former world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt and to the American Sam Querrey. The third one went to Evan King, the winner of the USTA boys' claycourt Championships.

"I truly adore Malisse, but I didn't know if he was healthy. Hewitt's a better draw... I told Malisse was leaning toward Querreybecause he's an American" - said Mark Baron, the tournament director.

Yes, nobody said life was fair and you could state a comeback the easy way around. Even Jelena Dokic had to play play-offs for an Australian Open wildcard...

~jachal

No comments: