Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dokic wins wildcard for the Aussie Open

Former World No. 4 Jelena Dokic will get a wildcard for the Australian Open 2009 as she won the annual wildcard play-off at Melbourne Park.


After years of constant struggling Dokic is once again attempting a comeback.
She will be playing a Grand Slam tournament only for the second time in the last four years (the last was in 2006, where she was a matchpoint up only to loose in three sets).

The Aussie admitted this week she was on the verge of quitting tennis.
"I wasn't playing, I wasn't competing, so, I did think about quitting. When you have a difficult time, it goes through your mind. So to be in the main draw again and be on the tour and playing again is a great feeling."

In the final the current World No.178 beat Monika Wejnert 67 75 63 (who she'd lost to in the Round Robin play).
"I was pretty much down and out the whole match, except a couple of games in the last set. The way it was going she should have won today, but I kept on fighting all the way, which I think is the way back." she said.

~jachal

No comments: