Sunday, January 27, 2008

Nole captures his first Grand Slam title


Novak Djokovic won his first Grand Slam title as he defeated Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 4/6 6/4 6/3 7/6 in the final.
Coming into the final Djokovic was the strong favourite, as this was his 11th final of his young career (having already won 7 titles). The Frenchman, on the other side, has never before reached this stage of a tournament.
The world No.3 received a check over 840 000 Euro and 1000 ranking points. Though the Serb won't make any improvement as far as the ranking places, he will get closer to the likes of Federer and Nadal. Djoko will of course take the lead in the Race-ranking. Tsonga will move up the rankings on Monday up to No.18.
The prize ceremony wasn't as moving as it was in the women's case. Both players complemented each other, thanked their supporters, the tournament organizers and the sponsors and expressed their happiness about making the final.

"I would like to thank everybody in my box, not for just these two weeks but through my whole life," said Nole.

"I'm very very happy that I won my first Grand Slam here and so hopefully I'll see you here in this stage more often in the future," he said at the trophy presentation.

~jachal

No comments: